Our history

In two rented rooms in Malmö, Sweden, Dr. Frederik Paulsen founded Nordiska Hormon Laboratoriet in 1950, which in 1954 changed its name to Ferring. He named the company after the strong, closely-knit community of people originating from the island Föhr who called themselves Feringers, and spoke Fering.

World leader in peptide hormones

Ferring became a pioneer in developing and selling pharmaceutical products based upon natural, pituitary-produced peptide hormones. Dr. Paulsen was convinced that these new compounds could be used to supplement deficiencies and correct abnormalities, thus playing an invaluable role in the treatment of life-threatening conditions.

Five decades later, Dr. Paulsen's predictions have proved remarkably accurate. Today, peptides from Ferring are widely used in Ferring's treatments.

2010 - Ferring’s 60th anniversary

A scientist ahead of his time

Historic Timeline

Historic Timeline

1950

Laying the foundation for Ferring

Dr. Frederik Paulsen and Eva Frandsen incorporated ‘Nordiske Hormonlaboratorie’, later to be named Ferring. The company wanted to be a Nordic enterprise that focused on hormones, including production, chemical and physiological research, and their application in medicine.

Dr. Paulsen had become assistant professor at the Pharmacological Institute at the University of Lund where he advised on pharmacological and clinical matters and marketing. Few years later he took over full time leadership of the company.

1951

Laying the foundation for Ferring

In the spring Nordiske Hormonlaboratorie started the production of adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) on rented 60 square metres in an old factory building in Malmö, Sweden. The ACTH came from local hog pituitaries which were richer in ACTH than other domestic species and furthermore hog slaughterhouses in the region were well organised.

Eva Frandsen who had experience with other peptide hormones from her time in Stockholm with Pharmacia and Organon led the production after having set up the same production the previous year with partners in Copenhagen. She was soon assisted by Helmer Hagstam, who later on became Ferring’s head of production and technical director for many years.

The appearance of ACTH and the adrenal cortical hormones on the drug market was the beginning of antimmune therapy and offered new possibilities for treating antimmune diseases. This resulted in an enormous amount of work in clinical development of the ACTH and new indications were added steadily. Dr. Paulsen headed up this work and he benefited from his good connections with Swedish doctors during many years.

1954

Strong roots decide name

Frederik Paulsen changed the company name to Ferring. He had practical and rational reasons for renaming the company; he wanted a name that would be easy to understand and pronounce in as many countries as possible.

His reason for choosing ‘Ferring’ was deeply personal and demonstrated his close connections with his native island of Föhr, since the Friesian word ‘Ferring’ is the name given to the islanders living there.

1956

Expansion

Ferring moved from its rented location to its first self-owned factory in Malmö. As Ferring grew, companies opened in Germany and Denmark, but Dr. Paulsen, on an old advice of his grandmother, did not borrow money to finance the expansion.

1961

Expansion

An important breakthrough for Ferring came when Dr. Paulsen and his staff succeeded in producing synthetic peptide hormones (vasopressin and oxytocin) on an industrial scale, and became one of the first companies in the worldwide pharmaceutical industry.

Ferring became the only worldwide producer of vasopressin, a hormone whose structure was modified to form the basis of MINIRIN®, which has been Ferring’s flagship product for 20 years.

1972

Launch of MINIRIN

Ferring launched MINIRIN®, an anti-diuretic hormone used initially to treat diabetes insipidus and later primary nocturnal enuresis, or bedwetting. MINIRIN soon became the most important product in Ferring’s product portfolio.

1973

New production site

Ferring established its first production site outside Scandinavia in Kiel, Germany.

1980

Launch of GLYPRESSIN

First registration and launch of GLYPRESSIN® (terlipressin), an analogue of vasopressin, which is used for the treatment of bleeding oesophageal varices.

1982

Continuous Expansion

Ferring began forming global subsidiaries in Europe, North America and Southeast Asia.

1983

Kiel Ferring Foundation

Dr. Frederik Paulsen was one of the initiators of the Kiel Ferring Foundation, which, since its formation has awarded 20,000 DM every other year to two scientists at the Faculty of Medicine at the Christian Albrechts-University in Kiel for notable studies in the field of endocrinology.

1984

Launch of MINIRIN tablet

The MINIRIN® tablet was the first peptide-based pharmaceutical to be successfully formulated for administration in tablet form.

1986

Launch of PENTASA

Ferring launched PENTASA® (mesalazine) for the treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases. This product enabled the company to strengthen its position in gastroenterology.

1988

Frederik Paulsen Junior becomes CEO

The founder’s youngest son, Frederik Paulsen, became CEO of the Ferring Group. At the same time Ferring established Ferring B.V. in The Netherlands as a holding company for the Group. Today Frederik Paulsen is Chairman of the Board.

1990

New worldwide subsidiaries

During the 1990s, Ferring accelerated the opening of new subsidiaries in Eastern and Western Europe, South America, Asia, South Africa and in the Middle East. On average, revenues grew by 20 percent a year.

1993

New activities in Prague

Ferring BV entered into a joint-venture with Léciva a.s., the largest pharmaceutical company in the Czech Republic at that time.

Launch of MENOGON

In June of this year Ferring launched its first product in the area of infertility, MENOGON® (menotropin) for the treatment of infertile couples.

1995

Winter School

Ferring became the main sponsor of the ESPE (European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology) Winter School for young paediatric endocrinologists from Eastern Europe. Ferring still supports the winter school, where the aspiring young endocrinologists attend a one week ‘crash course’, during which they receive instruction in all areas of modern endocrinology from professors from western and central Europe.

1996

Launch of ZOMACTON

Ferring launched ZOMACTON® (hGH) for the treatment of growth hormone deficiency (GHD) in children and for the treatment of girls with Turner’s syndrome.

1997

Ferring’s founder dies at 88

Dr. Frederik Paulsen, Ferring’s founder, died at the age of 88, after having spent his last 17 years on his native island Föhr together with his wife Eva Paulsen. During these years he was actively involved in Friesian affairs and the problems of minority groups.

2000

Launch of TRACTOCILE

In 2000, Ferring launched its latest medicine, TRACTOCILE® (atosiban), a new chemical entity developed by Ferring’s researchers for the treatment of pre-term (premature) labour. Ferring also launched MENOPUR® (menotropin), a follow-up compound to MENOGON® (menotropin) for the treatment of infertile couples.

2002

Ferring International Center opens for business

On January 1st the new Ferring International Center building in Ørestad, Copenhagen opened for business. With its 20 floors, designed by the renowned architect Henning Larsen, the new building is a landmark for Ferring and one of the highest office buildings in Scandinavia.

2003

Starting signal for Ferring’s fifth production site

Ferring breaks the ground for the building of its new state-of-the-art multi-purpose site in Saint-Prex, Switzerland and thereby continues its commitment to the region.

2006

Ferring Headquarters open

Ferring Headquarters and new production facility open in Saint-Prex, Switzerland. The facility provides additional production capacity for Ferring's dry products as well as secondary packaging and distribution for Ferring's entire range of products.

2009

Launch of FIRMAGON

Launch of FIRMAGON® (degarelix), a GnRH blocker for advanced hormone-dependent prostate cancer.

2010

Ferring celebrated its 60th anniversary

Ferring was founded in 1950 and celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2010. The company has evolved from a small 2-people enterprise to a now strong player in the pharmaceutical field. It is present on all continents.

2011

Acquisition of Cytokine

Acquisition of Cytokine PharmaSciences Inc. (CPSI) and its subsidiary, Controlled Therapeutics Scotland (CTS). The new entity called Ferring Controlled Therapeutics will continue its manufacturing activities in Scotland.

2013

Launch of CORTIMENT® (budesonide)

2014

Launch of MISODEL® (misoprostol)

2016

Launch of NOCDURNA® (desmopressin)

2017

Launch of REKOVELLE® (follitropin delta)

Headquarters

FERRING INTERNATIONAL CENTER S.A.
CH. DE LA VERGOGNAUSAZ 50
1162 SAINT-PREX
SWITZERLAND

TEL:  +41 58 301 00 00
FAX: +41 58 301 00 10

CONTACT

global locator